...to celebrate the life of a true one off, golden spirit and dear friend. And to send thoughts and love to her husband Graeme and Mum Joan.
![]() |
| Gill and Stuart (Centre Manager) at the opening of the Darwin Centre Sept 2009 |
Gill passed away 13th January after a long and determined battle with cancer, aged 45. She died peacefully in Trinity Hospice with her family around her.
![]() |
| AMC Team |
She was a source of inspiration and amazing force for fun. She had a quite unique knack of bringing dried specimens and preserved people to life!
We worked side by side for 2 1/2 years then I took over her post for 9 months while she was having treatment. She came back to work and I took the plunge and joined Dominik in Mozambique.
![]() |
| Stuart, Me, Gill - once the confetti had settled |
Gill leaves a physical legacy in the form of the Centre with its staff, programmes and collection - a legacy to foster the next generation of naturalists.
But she also loved music, theatre, poetry and to find the hidden, sunny corners of life. She has seen more live music than anyone I know...she filled every moment.
I have danced in muddy fields and laughed in dark holes thanks to Gill. She has left us with wonderful memories and SO much to thank her for. Here are some poems for you ...
A Small Dragon
I've found a small dragon in the woodshed.
Think it must have come from deep inside a forest
because it's damp and green and leaves
are still reflecting in its eyes.
I fed it on many things, tried grass,
the roots of stars, hazel-nut and dandelion,
but it stared up at me as if to say, I need
foods you can't provide.
It made a nest among the coal,
not unlike a bird's but larger, it
is out of place here
and is quite silent.
If you believed in it
I would come hurrying to your house
to let you share my wonder,
but I want instead to see
if you yourself will pass this way.
Brian Patten
![]() |
I'm going to plant a heart in the earth
water it with love from a vein
I'm going to praise it with the push of muscle
and care for it in the sound of all dimensions.
I'm going to leave a heart in the earth
so it may grow and flower
a heart that throbs with longing
that adores everything green
that will be strength and nourishment for birds
that will be the sap of plants and mountains.
Rosario Murillo
A wild one: love and thanks for the words and the music





No comments:
Post a Comment