Sunday, 20 February 2011

white van - old place new attitude

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to my life?  It looks quite different to the one I had only a year ago.

Now back in UK while the bush is closed from rain (we hope and poachers kept indoors) I am doing various important things, like trying to earn money, making my house rentable, and Dominik is doing up his small house in Germany - which is affectionately called the Cat House - it did smell very strongly of cat pee.

Anyway two days ago we rented a white transit van as we have ended up buying various useful things for his house in England in 'The Sales'- such as tiles, a bath, two sinks, a sofa, mirror, paint, wallpaper, plates... a pair of old scientific scales, a stuffed Teal, a foot pump - things ranging from the essential to not so essential.  In all I counted 42 items neatly packed in for our journey...which according to AA route planner should take 5 1/2 hours, extranordinary - it actually took double and we arrived at 1.30am.

As Dominik drove I unpacked our large picnic and suddenly realised I have developed a feast or famine attitude, that must I suppose have been fostered from lean times in the bush.  The large picnic included fish pieces that were approaching their sell-by date quickly cooked into a pasta sauce using the odd ingredient I had in the bottom of the fridge - a bit of old cabbage, creme fraiche, herb mix and one tomato.  I sadly don't possess tupperware so had used an old biscuit tin to transport this concoction.  We also had boiled eggs, with a nice twist of salt, a bag of carrots, one orange and a few chocolate biscuits.

The cold seafood pasta, of sorts, did not smell wonderful in its airtight metal tin.  But as we bobbed along in the elevated world of white vans we ate it happily and I reflected on life, change, expectations and much else.

2 comments:

  1. Civilisation approaches the Beissel very stealthily, cunningly weaning him away from some of his more scarce travelling provender.... When are you back at mareja and can you get an Internet connection from there?
    Bestus from Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arh my first comment - you get many golden points! Thank you.

    Civilisation...? He is truly happy with the two ring electic cooker he has set up on an upturned box in said German house/building site, eating large tins of soup 3 times a day. He announced the other day while slurping away with chunk of bread in hand, "who would think we could live like kings for 3euro a day?" Indeed!

    Hope to be seeing you soon Sx

    ReplyDelete