I get the strangest texts from Dominik, with his one bar of connection from a particular cashew tree, best received while lying on top of the Land Rover. He writes things like this...under caju w lion. heard leopard earlier. close meet ellie in day. Or my favourite...last night vivid dream, ikcl a snake, just now I met her in my path, qhe iired n made off. now owle franzy got a baby m the stairs and pasents attending at best. That is transcribed for you, letter for letter - I can usually get the gist but sometimes wonder if the lion or snake has eaten him and the owl eaten a baby, or at least something has nibbled off his texting finger!
Anyway the latest communication instalment has resulted in urgent messages requesting that Tom brings yet more useful things.
The most exciting news is that Tom the new volunteer (see previous entry) decided to go out and see what is happening for himself - he would rather be on the ground helping Dominik with the poaching problem. So he left yesterday loaded up with all sorts of fantastic goods, bought thanks to the generosity of our supporters....GPS, satellite phone, mobile solar charger, more uniforms, more ibobrufen for Naquata (who if in UK would have a hip replacement.) etc.
Two days before Tom was due to leave - I get a crackly phonecall asking for....plastic toy guns and handcuffs. After much searching I find them on ebay - ebay is a wonderful thing. I buy and then send pleading emails to the sellers requesting quick dispatch.
Just after putting Tom on the Heathrow bus I return home to see the postman delivering the ebay goods...so sadly they remain here. (I am now very well equipped for Ranger impersonation in Oxford, where poaching even of Mallard ducks, is yet to be an issue ... but I am prepared.)
Well Tom seemed well prepared for whatever Mareja has to throw at him when he briefly graced casa Marques. I think you've fallen on your feet there. Well done!
ReplyDelete